Sunday, January 29, 2012

Veronica Roth's Divergent

Did you like The Hunger Games? I think you'll like this one better!

Roth creates a world broken into five factions, based on how they believe democracy failed. If you live in Abnegation, then you believe that the leaders were selfish. If you live in Dauntless, then the leaders were cowards. If you live in Erudite, then you believe that citizens didn't seek enough knowledge. Candor is for those who felt lying led to our demise. Amity is for those who believe that the world isn't kind enough.

When a citizen turns sixteen, he is required to take a special aptitude test to help determine which faction he will live in. The results of the aptitude test aren't the only factors in making your decision.  But you have to choose wisely.  If you decide to transfer into another faction, then you abandon your family and your old faction, adopting the new motto "faction before blood."

Beatrice Prior is sixteen, and she will be taking the aptitude along with her brother.  Beatrice's results are inconclusive, and she will have to choose her faction based on how she feels and her obligations to her family.

I recently learned that this book is part of a trilogy, and I don't even care.  I devoured this novel and will wait patiently until May, when the next installment is released.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book but didn't love it as much as some others. But I'm definitely curious to see where Roth goes in INSURGENT. I wonder if some of my theories will come true or not.

    ReplyDelete